Novak Djokovic won his first Wimbledon title!

on Monday, July 04, 2011
So last night, I tuned in to Star Sports for 3 hours to watch the Wimbledon finals between Nadal and Djokovic.

I've been watching tennis since '05, I think. I was a big fan of a lot of sports and I watched a lot of them, including basketball, golf, badminton, tennis, racing, swimming and even gymnastics. Ironically enough, I DO NOT PLAY ANY SPORT. :-) Haha.

Let's take this back 2005... (pun intended)

The first tennis match I've ever watched (that I can remember) was a match between Nadal and Bagdhatis. It's was on grass, I think. Not sure which tournament though. It was so freakin' awesome and I didn't want to change the channel until I find out who won.

I started researching and watching as much matches as I can because it's really an interesting sport. I've started to learn more about the sport and the athletes from way way back and those who are dominating the scene during that time.

The first tennis player I idolized was Rafael Nadal. He was young, strong and determined. He was just someone who looks like a champ. And he is. And then, Roger Federer. I admire Federer because he is one of the best (if not the best) players in the entire tennis history.

Then came this young guy who got into the quarterfinals of French Open in '06. He came out of nowhere. He reached the fourth round of the Wimbledon in the same year. Then he reached the semifinals of the French Open in '07. It totally caught my attention. Beside him being an eye-candy, he was a really really REALLY funny guy. His name is Novak Djokovic.

He then reached the finals of the US Open in '07.

THOSE MARIA SHARAPOVA IMPRESSIONS WERE THE REASON WHY THE US OPEN CROWD LOVED HIM.

He didn't win the US Open in that year, but a month after his first ever Grand Slam final, he won his very first Grand Slam title in the Australian Open stage.

The Nadal-Federer rivalry was gone. There was a new one, and it was called a TRIVALRY. Yes, that word is not in the dictionary haha. It was not just about Nadal and Federer anymore, it was about Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic.

He became the #3 player in the world for a few years. Then he became #2. And now, he is #1. NUMBER ONE. I'm not even related to Novak in any way but I was in tears when he earned that rank. And him winning Wimbledon confirmed that he is the best player in the world today.

I'm just so proud of him. It's so special because I was there when he started to grow and make a name for himself. I feel like a proud mom, haha. Even his brothers grew oh my god look at them! Marko used to be this fine young boy I was crushing on but now he's a grown man and he'd probably be just like Nole.

No words can express how happy I am for him. And I can't wait to see more from the world's best tennis player at the moment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...